Dr. Bansal specializes in minimally-invasive joint preserving and joint replacement procedures. He strongly advocates multimodal pain therapies, tissue-friendly operations, and faster return to an active lifestyle.
He has specialty training in hip, knee, and shoulder replacements. He enjoys surgical challenges, in the few cases where revision surgery is required. He has additional expertise in hip arthroscopy and periacetabular osteotomy for dysplasia. He is one of the few surgeons in the country trained to perform this operation.
He completed residency at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, VA. He also completed two fellowships, one for comprehensive shoulder surgery at The Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, and the second for hip and knee surgery at the Orthopedic Centers of Colorado in Denver.
Dr. Bansal is indebted to his mentors for providing him a solid clinical foundation. He is also grateful to have a robust and experienced support staff at Mercy Health. He, his wife, and 2-year-old daughter are thrilled to call Cincinnati home. They are Ohio natives and foster hospitable midwestern values. He enjoys caring for his patients on the whole, sharing a laugh with them, in addition to addressing their orthopedic ailment.
Practice Names & Titles
Chair of Orthopaedic Surgery, Mercy Health Anderson Hospital
Chair, Adult Reconstruction Committee, Mercy Health
Adjunct Faculty – Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center Sports Medicine Fellowship
Minimally-invasive Hip Replacement
Periacetabular Osteotomy for Hip Dysplasia
Total Knee Replacement
Total and Reverse Shoulder Replacement
Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery
4700 E. Galbraith Road, 300A, Cincinnati, Ohio 45236
7575 5 Mile Road, Cincinnati, Ohio 45230
- Rotator cuff tears
- Shoulder instability
- Shoulder replacement
- Knee replacement
- Periacetabular osteotomy
- Sports Medicine
Operative and nonoperative management of pre-arthritic and early arthritic joint conditions.
Arthroscopy of the shoulder, hip, and knee.
Board Certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
Undergraduate: Youngstown State University, Youngstown, Ohio
Medical School: Northeast Ohio Medical University, Rootstown, Ohio
Residency: Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia
Shoulder Fellowship: Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
Hip and Knee Reconstruction, Hip Preservation Fellowship: Orthopedic Centers of Colorado, Denver, Colorado
Awards & Honors
Awards and Honors
- VCU Resident Research Day 2nd Place
- VCU Orthopaedic Faculty Promotion Committee
- Shining Knight Honor of VCU Health Trauma Survivor
- Trustees Scholarship, Youngstown State University
- Best MJ, Harris AB, Bansal A, Huish E, Srikumaran U. Predictors of long-term opioid use after
- elective primary total shoulder arthroplasty. Orthopedics. 2021;44(1):58-63.
- Mikula JD, Best MJ, Aziz K, Amin RM, Raad M, Bansal A, Huish E, Srikumaran U.
- Preoperative Functional Status Predicts Outcomes after Primary Total Shoulder Arthroplasty.
- Seminars in Arthroplasty: J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020:in press.
- Taylor A, Bansal A, Shi B, Best M, Huish EG, Srikumaran U. Optimizing Fixation for Distal
- Biceps Tendon Repairs: A Systematic Review and Meta-regression of Cadaveric Biomechanical
- Testing. Am J Sports Med. 2020:in press.
- Best MJ, Harris AB, Bansal A, Huish EG, McFarland EG, Jenkins SG, Srikumaran U.
- Preoperative Opioid Use is Associated with Increased Readmission, Revision Surgery and Cost
- after Total Shoulder Arthroplasty. Seminars in Arthroplasty: J Shoulder Elbow Surg.
- Best MJ, Aziz KT, Nayar SK, Patten IS, Bansal A, Huish E, Srikumaran U. Smoking is an
- Independent Risk Factor for Complications Following Open Rotator Cuff Repair. The Physician
- and Sportsmedicine; in press.
- Eguia F, Ali I, Bansal A, McFarland E, Srikumaran U. Minimal Clinically Important Differences
- (MCID) after Biceps Tenodesis: Definition and Retrospective Assessment of Predictive Factors. J
- Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020;29(7S):S41-47.
- Nayar S, Bansal A, Kreulen T, Weiner S, Shafiq B, Srikumaran U. Intramedullary Cage Removal
- for a Consolidated Proximal Humerus Fracture: A Case Report. JBJS Case Connect. 2020; in
- Ali I, Vattigunta S, Jang J, Hannan C, Ahmed M, Linton B, Kantsiper M, Bansal A, Srikumaran
- Racial Disparities in the Timing of Radiographic Assessment and Surgical Treatment of Hip
- Fractures. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020;478(3):455-461
- Bansal A, Carlson D, Owen J, Cheatham S, Williams DS, Wayne J, Kates S. Ligamentous
- Lisfranc Injury: Direct Biomechanical Comparison of Dorsal Plate Fixation and Transarticular
- Screws. J Orthop Trauma. 2019 Jul: 33(7):e270-275.
- Arno S, Bell C, Alaia M, Singh B, Jazrawi L, Walker P, Bansal A, Garofolo G, Sherman O. Does
- Anteromedial Portal Drilling Improve Footprint Placement in Anterior Cruciate Ligament
- Reconstruction? Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Jul: 474(7):1679-89.
- Glait S, Khatib O, Bansal A, Hochfelder J, Slove J. Comparing the Incidence and Clinical Data
- for Simultaneous Bilateral Versus Unilateral Total Hip Arthroplasty in New York State Between
- 1990 and 2010. J Arthroplasty. 2015 Nov: 30(11):1887-91.
- Bansal A, Khatib O, Zuckerman J. Revision Total Joint Arthroplasty: The Epidemiology of
- 63,140 Cases in New York State. J Arthroplasty. 2014 Jan: 29(1):23-7.
- Jazrawi L, Bansal A. Biochemical-based MRI in Diagnosis of Early Osteoarthritis. Imaging in
- Medicine. 2012 Feb: 4(1):1-3
- Bansal A, Strauss E, Jazrawi L. Scanning Strategies: Earlier Identification Can Help Slow the
- Progression of Osteoarthritis. Advance for Imaging and Radiation Oncology. http://imagingradiation- oncology.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/Imaging-and-Joint-Disease.aspx.
- Snyder S, Zafirau B, Hazelett S, Bansal A, McMahon S. Improving Transitions: Efficacy of a
- Transfer Form to Communicate Patients’ Wishes. Journal of the Medical Quality. 2012 Jul-
- Bansal A, Loucks DC, Greenhow R, Swann RP. Custom Cutting Blocks. Essentials of Cemented
- Knee Arthroplasty.
- Bansal A, Loucks DC, Greenhow R, Swann RP. Calipered Kinematic Alignment Using Patient
- Specific Instrumentation. Calipered Kinematically Aligned Knee Arthroplasty: Theory, Operative
- Techniques, Outcomes, Complications.
- Otte RS, Garrigues G, Bansal A, Srikumaran U, Weick J, Freehill M, Lin A. Arthroscopic
- Rotator Repair: A General Instructional Course Lecture. Instructional Course Lectures 2019.
- Bansal A, Srikumaran U. Rotator Cuff Disease. Shoulder Synopsis.
- Ragusa P, Bansal A, Srikumaran U. Rotator Cuff Repair. Shoulder Synopsis.
- Bansal A, Srikumaran U. Rotator Cuff Reconstruction. Shoulder Synopsis.