Dr. Brian Chilelli is board-certified in Orthopaedic Surgery and a native of Greater Cincinnati. He is an active member of several societies including the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, the Arthroscopy Association of North America, and the International Cartilage Repair Society.
Dr. Chilelli is dedicated to the operative and nonoperative management of pre-arthritic and early arthritic joint conditions. His practice philosophy entails utilizing non-operative treatment options while only considering surgery as a last resort or when indicated. From a surgical standpoint, he routinely performs arthroscopy of the shoulder, hip, and knee. In addition, he has extensive experience and interest in joint preservation and ligamentous reconstruction of the knee including ACL reconstruction. Dr. Chilelli treats cartilage damage of the knee with advanced techniques including MACI (Matrix-induced Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation) and osteochondral allograft transplantation. He also treats a wide variety of meniscus injuries including complex tear patterns and has experience with meniscus allograft transplantation. He provides Orthopaedic care to recreational and high-level athletes and is currently the Orthopaedic surgeon for Miami of Ohio University NCAA Division I athletics.
He served as co-director of the Northwestern Medicine Hip and Knee Preservation Center and was appointed Orthopaedic surgeon for Northern Illinois University NCAA Division I athletics prior to moving his practice to the Cincinnati Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center. He has authored numerous peer-reviewed articles and book chapters. He remains active academically and has been invited as a faculty instructor to several national instructional courses. His research interests include innovative techniques in articular cartilage repair, orthobiologics, and ligamentous injuries of the knee.
Practice Names & Titles
Mercy Health – Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center
Core Faculty – Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center Sports Medicine Fellowship
Knee – Non-operative and Operative Conditions
Shoulder – Non-operative and Operative Conditions
Hip – Non-operative and Operative Conditions
8737 Union Centre Blvd. West Chester, Ohio 45069
270 South Locust Street, Oxford, Ohio 45056
- Rotator Cuff Tears
- Quadriceps and Patellar Tendon Ruptures
- ACL Tears
- PCL Tears
- Complex Ligamentous Injuries – Posterolateral Corner
- Meniscus Tears
- Meniscal Deficiency
- Patellar Instability
- FAI (Femoroacetabular Impingement)
- Labral Tears
- Femoroacetabular impingement (FAI), labral tears of the hip
Operative and nonoperative management of pre-arthritic and early arthritic joint conditions.
Arthroscopy of the shoulder, hip, and knee.
Advanced techniques for cartilage damage
Board Certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
Undergraduate: College of Charleston
Medical School: Medical University of South Carolina
Residency: Northwestern University
Fellowship: Brigham and Women’s Hospital
Awards & Honors
Awards and Honors
- NCAA Division I athlete, College of Charleston Men’s soccer team
- Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society
- Golden Key Honors Society
- College of Charleston Honors Program
- OREF/ORS Resident Research Symposium
- Northwestern University representative
- Transformational Leader Award, Northwestern Medicine
- Top Doctors, IL Top Docs
Interests include innovative techniques in articular cartilage repair, orthobiologics, and ligamentous injuries of the knee
- Flanigan D, Carey J, Chilelli B, Gersoff W, Jones D, Lee C, Toth A, Cramer C, Zaporojan V, Sherman S. Consensus on rehabilitation guidelines among orthopaedic surgeons in the United States following use of third generation articular cartilage repair (MACI) for treatment of knee cartilage lesions. Cartilage. 2020 Oct
- Chilelli BJ, Gomoll AH. (2020). Articular Cartilage. In Mark D. Miller (Ed), Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 6: Sports Medicine. Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Chilelli BJ, Gomoll AH. (2020) Osteonecrosis of the Knee In: In Jorge A. Chahla and Robert F. Laprade (Eds.), Evidence-Based Management of Complex Knee Injuries. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier.
- Chilelli BJ, Gomoll AH. (2019) Chondral Defects of the Knee: Diagnosis and Management. In: Yanke AB, ed. Joint Preservation of the Knee: A Clinical Casebook. Verlag Berlin Heidelberg: Springer.
- Chilelli BJ, Cole BJ, Farr J, Lattermann C, Gomoll AH. The four most common types of knee cartilage damage encountered in practice: how and why orthopaedic surgeons manage them. Instr Course Lect. 2017;66:507-530.
- Chilelli BJ, Gomoll AH, Farr J. (2016). Articular Cartilage Repair with Bioscaffolds. In W. Norman Scott (Ed), Insall and Scott Surgery of the Knee 6th Edition. London, England. Churchill Livingstone.
- Chilelli BJ, Gomoll AH. (2016). Articular Cartilage. In Mark D. Miller (Ed), Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 5: Sports Medicine. Rosemont, IL: American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Chilelli BJ, Matthews GL, Minas T, Gomoll AH. (2015). Articular Cartilage and Subchondral Bone Pathology. In Brian J. Cole and Joshua D. Harris (Eds.), Biological Knee Reconstruction: A Surgeon’s Guide. Thorofare, NJ: SLACK Inc.
- Chilelli BJ, Mastrocola MR, Gomoll AH. Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation: Surgical Technique and Outcomes. Operative Techniques in Orthopaedics 2014 Dec;24(4):246-52
- Chilelli BJ, Patel RM, Kalainov DM, Peng J, Zhang LQ. Flexor pollicis longus dysfunction after volar plate fixation of distal radius fractures. J Hand Surg Am. 2013 Sep;38(9):1691- 7.
- Patel RM, Chilelli BJ, Ivy AD, Kalainov DM. Hand surface landmarks and measurements in the treatment of trigger thumb. J Hand Surg Am. 2013 Jun;38(6):1166-71.
- Chilelli BJ (2015). Metastatic Disease. In Jamal Bouganem and Ritesh R. Shah (Eds.) Pocket Orthopaedics. Wolters Kluwer.
- Alpaugh K, Chilelli B, Xu S, Martin S. Primary Open or Endoscopic Abductor Tendon Repair in the Hip: A Systematic Review of the Literature. Arthroscopy. 2014
- Patel RM, Kalainov DM , Chilelli BJ, Makoweic RL. Comparison of two radiographic stress views in assessing for scapholunate instability. Hand. 2014