Dr. Almasri is an accomplished researcher and an expert in minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery of the hip, shoulder and knee. He graduated from McGill University in 2014, where he completed his Doctorate in Medicine. He subsequently performed a 5-year residency in orthopaedic surgery at the University of Ottawa, in Canada’s capital. This was followed by a position as an Orthopaedic Surgeon and SportsMedicine fellow at the Cincinnati SportsMedicine & Orthopaedic Center, one of the premier SportsMedicine institutions in the world. While in Cincinnati, Dr Almasri was also involved in the medical care of two major professional sports teams, which were the FC Cincinnati Major League Soccer Team and the Cincinnati Bengals NFL football team. After completing a
forementioned fellowship, Dr. Almasri completed a comprehensive hip preservation Fellowship McMaster University, which ranks as one of the best training programs for hip arthroscopy in the world.
Dr. Almasri has published numerous full-length scientific articles in the field of hip preservation and sports medicine. His focus is on providing
patient centered orthopaedic care, tailored to the unique needs of each one of his patients, driven by the latest and best evidence in sports medicine and hip preservation surgery.
Practice Names & Titles
Mercy Health – Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center
Orthopaedic Surgeon and Hip Preservation Specialist
Core Faculty, Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center Sports Medicine Fellowship
4440 Glen-Este Withamsville Rd., Cincinnati, Ohio 45245
4701 Creek Rd. Suite 110, Cincinnati, Ohio 45242
- FAI (Femoroacetabular Impingement) Syndrome
- Labral Tears
- Abductor Tears
- Athletic Disorders
- Proximal Hamstring Disorders
- Hip Osteoarthritis
- Rotator Cuff Tear
- ACL Tears
- Meniscus Tears
Hip Preservation Surgery, Athletic Hip Disorders
Hip Labral Repair and Labral Reconstruction
Hip Cartilage Repair and Orthobiologics
Minimally Invasive Hip Replacement Surgery (Direct Anterior Approach)
Sports Medicine Surgery of the Knee and Shoulder
Board Eligible, Orthopaedic Surgery
Board Certified, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Undergraduate: University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Medical School: McGill University Faculty of Medicine, Montreal, Canada
Residency: University of Ottawa (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Sports Medicine Fellowship: Mercy Health-Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center
Hip Preservation Fellowship: McMaster University, Ontario, Canada
Awards & Honors
Awards and Honors
- Fellow of the Year Award – Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Helen Lemieux Internship Award – Shriner’s Hospital for Children, Montreal, Canada
- The Ottawa Hospital Commitment to Safety Award, Ottawa, Canada
- Kevric Summer Research Award, McGill University, Canada
- Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA)
- International Society for Hip Arthroscopy (ISHA)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM)
- The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Division of Surgery)
- Canadian Orthopaedic Association (COA)
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- American Medical Association
- Clinical and Surgical Outcomes in Hip Arthroscopy and FAI Syndrome
- Surgical Education in Hip Arthroscopy
- Almasri M, Ayeni OR. Editorial Commentary: Defining proficiency in hip arthroscopic surgery is facing its own learning curve. Arthroscopy, 2020; 36(12): 3106-3107.
- Almasri M, Simunovic N, Heels-Ansdell D, Ayeni OR; FIRST Investigators. Femoroacetabular impingement surgery leads to early pain relief but minimal functional gains past 6 months: experience from the FIRST trial. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2021 Jan 2.
- Almasri M, Simunovic N, Heels-Ansdell D, Ayeni OR; FIRST Investigators. Hip Osteochondroplasty May Benefit the Non-Ideal Patient with FAI: Analysis from the EPIC Study. In process, 2021
- Almasri M, Simunovic N, Heels-Ansdell D, Ayeni OR; FIRST Investigators. Urinary and Sexual Dysfunction following FAI Surgery: Analysis from the FIRST trial. In process, 2021
- Wang C, Cohen D, Almasri M, Simunovic N, Ayeni OR. Systematic Review of the literature addressing the utility of the FEAR INDEX in defining hip instability. In process, 2021
- Wang C, Cohen D, Kay J, Almasri M, Simunovic N, Ayeni OR. Effect of Rotational Abnormalities on Outcomes Following Hip Arthroscopy: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. In process, 2021.
- Cohen D, Wang C, Almasri M, Simunovic N, Ayeni OR. Evaluation of femoral osteochondroplasty in FAI surgery. A systematic review evaluating imaging modalities. In process, 2021.
- Lameire DL, Abdel Khalik A, Zakharia A, Kay J, Almasri M, de SA D. Autologous bone grafting of the patella defect following ACL reconstruction with bone-patella tendon-bone autograft: a systematic review. Arthroscopy, Submitted 2020.
- Almasri M, Kohrs B, Wendt A, Nolan J, Fleckenstein C, Hasan SS. Reverse shoulder arthroplasty in patients 85 years and older is safe and effective. In process, 2020.
- Aldhuhoori S, Almasri M, Nicholls SG, Whitcomb Pollock J, et al. What outcomes are important in the recovery from acromio-clavicular (AC) joint pathology? A focus group study with patients and surgeons. Disabil Rehabil, 2020; ePub ahead of print.
- Ajrawat P, Dwyer T, Almasri M, Veillette C, Romeo A, et al. Bone marrow stimulation decrease re-tear rates following primary arthroscopic rotator cuff repair: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Shoulder Elbow Surg, 2019; 28: 782-791.
- Almasri M, Kishta W, Abduljabbar FH, Arlet V, et al. Ischiospinal dysostosis in a child with Pierre-Robin syndrome. Hindawi Case Reports in Orthopedics, 2017; ePub.
- Montezano AC, Burger D, Paravicini TM, Chignalia AZ, Yusuf H, Almasri M, et al. Nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide phosphate reduced oxidase 5 (Nox5) regulation by angiotensin II and endothelin-1 is mediated via calcium/calmodulin-dependent, rac-1-independent pathways in human endothelial cells. Circ Res, 2010; 106: 1363-1373.
- Walker M, Almasri M, , Ayeni OR. Book Chapter: Hip Osteoarthritis, Etiology & Treatment Options. Musculoskeletal Disorders, Springer. Submitted to Springer, 2020.
- Almasri M, Noyes FR. Anterior Closing Wedge Osteotomy of the Proximal Tibia – Video Review & Technical Instruction. Published on VuMedi, Aug 31 2020.