Matthew L. Busam, M.D. is an orthopaedic surgeon specializing in sports medicine and knee and shoulder surgery. A Cincinnati native and the third of six children, Dr. Busam attended Elder High School where he graduated as valedictorian and attended the University of Notre Dame, graduating Summa Cum Laude with a BA in theology and pre-professional studies. After college, he attended medical school at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, where he graduated Alpha Omega Alpha, earning the surgical clerkship award, the orthopaedic clerkship award and the hospital award of excellence.
Following medical school, Dr. Busam completed his orthopaedic surgery training at Vanderbilt Medical Center. His interest in sports medicine was fostered there and he served as team physician to multiple Nashville area high schools, as well as to the Vanderbilt lacrosse team and assisted with coverage of the football and basketball programs.
Upon completion of his orthopaedic training, Dr. Busam pursued advanced training at the world-renowned Rush University in Chicago. There, he trained extensively in arthroscopic surgery of the knee, elbow and shoulder, ligament reconstruction, cartilage transplantation, rotator cuff surgery and instability of the shoulder.
Dr. Busam has authored several peer reviewed articles and text book chapters. He edited an AAOS monograph entitled, “Surgical Treatment of Articular Cartilage Defects in the Knee”. He is a reviewer for Arthroscopy; the Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery, Orthopaedics; and Sports Health
Dr. Busam returned home to Cincinnati in 2007 to join Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center. He is the Chief Medical Officer for FC Cincinnati and the Head team physician for Elder High School. He served as combine consultant and assistant team physician for the Cincinnati Bengals from 2011-2020. His clinical and research interests include sports medicine and knee and shoulder surgery including arthroscopy, ligament reconstruction, cartilage preservation, running injuries, arthroscopic shoulder surgery including stabilization and rotator cuff repairs. He has a special interest in medical ethics and patient centered care.
Dr. Busam enjoys spending time with his wife and family and can usually be found somewhere on the sidelines.
Practice Names & Titles
Mercy Health – Cincinnati SportsMedicine and Orthopaedic Center
Director – Sports medicine outreach program, Mercy Health
Chief Medical Officer – FC Cincinnati MLS
Clinical Faculty – Cincinnati Sports Medicine and Orthopaedic Center Sports Medicine Fellowship
6045 Bridgetown Road,
Cincinnati, Ohio 45248
- Nonoperative and operative treatment for injuries to the ACL
- Nonoperative and operative treatment including arthroscopic rotator cuff repair
- Nonoperative and operative treatment including arthroscopic stabilization
- Cartilage Restoration including osteochondral transplants
- Proximal and Distal Biceps tenon injuries
Knee Instability, Meniscal Injuries, Cartilage Restoration
Shoulder Instability, Rotator Cuff
Board Certified, Orthopaedic Surgery
Certificate of Added Qualification, Sports Medicine
Medical School: Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tennessee (M.D.)
Residency: Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville, Tennessee (Orthopaedic Surgery)
Fellowship: Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois (Sports Medicine)
Awards & Honors
Awards and Honors
- Highest Patient Satisfaction, Mercy Health, Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine (2015-2018)
- Cincinnati Magazine: Top Doctors, Orthopaedic Surgery (2018)
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- PSPS: Professional Soccer Physician’s Society
- Vanderbilt Orthopaedic Society
- Former Member: NFL Physicians Society
- Tom Dooley Society, Medical Alumni of Notre Dame
- Busam ML. STOP youth sports injuries. Cincinnati Community Press, guest editorial, Summer 2010.
- Wilkes T, Busam ML. Revision ACL Reconstruction: Results in ACL Surgery: How to Get it Right the First Time and What to Do if it Fails. Editors: Bernard R Bach, Matthew T. Provencher. Slack Inc. Thorofare, NJ, 2010.
- Busam, Matthew. Team Physicians Must Advocate for Lifelong Musculoskeletal Well-being. Guest Editorial. November 2015 – Volume 38 · Issue 11: 658-660
- Busam M, Fulkerson J.P., Galloway, M.T., Gaskill T.F., Moorman C.T., Noyes F.R.. Technical Aspects of ACL Reconstruction for the General Orthopaedic Surgeon. Instructional Course Lectures, Vol. 60, Egol K.A. (ed.), AAOS Rosemont, pp. 485-497, 2011
- Bengston HC, Busam ML, Hasan SS. Complications of Superior Labrum Anterior to Posterior and Biceps Tendon Repairs in Hasan SS, Mazzocca AD. Editors: Disorders of the Proximal Biceps Tendon: Evaluation and Treatment. AAOS Monograph. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Rosemont, IL. 2014.